Saturday, May 2, 2009

A Toddler!

Most of the Jennifers I have been in contact with since beginning The Jennifer Project have been in their late 20s or 30s.  The urban rumor claims the movie Love Story starring Jennifer O'Neill sparked a wave of interest in the name.  Because hundreds of thousands of people were named Jennifer in the 1970s and 1980s, as these Jennifers and their contemporaries are having children, parents everywhere are avoiding the name.  Which makes the name "Jennifer" a rather unique name for a toddler.  

I heard from one (via her mother) yesterday.  Here is an excerpt from the email:

My name's not Jennifer, but my little 18 month old's is. Before she was born, we heard lots of comments when we told people the name we had picked - "oh, isn't THAT an original name (sarcastic tone lost in this email)".  The funniest thing is that Jennifer is a very original name for a little 1.5 year old girl these days! While many of her friends are named McKenna, Emma, Madelyn, Riley, Zoe etc, but she's just Jenny. Her name fits her very well because she's cute, smart, and has a really funny sense of humor.  She was named after our beloved Aunt Jenny who died much too young (age 43) one year before our Jenny was born. 

Cool!

I can't wait to meet her.

As I'm putting together the project, I'm hoping I can find a broad age range of people named Jennifer -- children, adults, elders.  I think it's important to advertise the "Calls for Jennifer" somewhere other than Craig's List... 

Any suggestions on how to find more Jennifers?

My first photo shoot will be held on May 17.  I have about 15 people interested in participating so far.  Awesome!

No comments: