Monday, June 29, 2009

Another Jennifer in Idaho

Jen M., 33:

It was actually my Father who named me Jennifer.  It was partially due to the character in Love Story.  It was also partially due to the Donovan song “Jennifer Juniper” (www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_L0WL_c_Jw) which I guess is cute when you're little, but really my least favorite song.

I've been called almost every variation of Jenn, Jen, Jenny, Jeny, Jennifer imaginable, none that I really mind, with the exception of Jenny.  My Father, the same one who PICKED the name, used to call me Jenny, and then tease me with “And you know what a Jenny is don't you?” For those not familiar, a Jenny is also a female mule.  Seriously!  I was crushed.  I always wondered why name me that, and tease me about it.  Did he really think of me as no better than a mule?  It gave me a very serious complex. From that point on I was scarred for life and always HATED being called Jenny.  I have only ever let two people in my entire life call me by that name, and after a bad falling out, that name doesn't seem to have the power that it used to, or make me feel as bad as it used to.  At times I even miss being called Jenny.  It's amazing the power and the weight that a name can have.  

I have lost count of the number of Jennifers that have been a part of my life.  There were at least 4 other Jennifers around growing up.  I have two very dear friends that are both Jennifer's.  One of which I see on an almost weekly basis when we go to a local knitting store to knit and chat and catch up, everyone refers to us as The Jennifers.  Even my mother, but her daughter is the brunette one.  

I wouldn't trade having my name for anything, even if it IS another word for a female mule.  Despite being such a common name, we are all unique, interesting, beautiful, and always entertaining.  But maybe I am a little biased.  :)

No comments: